- Texas adopts a multi-year registration system. From now on, stickers
are used to revalidate passenger plates, instead of new ones being
- Originally, these plates were intended to last 5 years.
- The new base plate originally features the lone star symbol;
- In September (at MMV) the star is changed (by act of Texas Legislature)
to a small Texas silhouette.
- Plates before QQY have a "75" debossed in the right sticker box.
Home" plates replace "House Trailer".
- Texas adopts a "staggered" registration system. Depending on the
sticker, plates are renewed at different times throughout the year
instead of on March 31.
- Non-passenger plates dated 77 (expiring March, 78) are replaced
with plates dated 79.
- Therefore very few dated 1978 plates exist. Only known are personalized,
Fertilizer Truck (first year of issue), and Antique Auto (actually
a 973 plate).